Skip to main content

Using flash to alter your background


BTS of one of my recent flower shots
Up until this point I have been discussing exposure dealing with natural, available light. However, there are times when nature needs a little assistance. This is where light modifiers come into play. There are many types of light modifiers available to a photographer. Commercial and home made reflectors, diffusers, lighting setups and who knows what else. But one of the most common type is the speedlight.

The speedlight (or off-camera flash) is that piece of equipment most photographers go out and purchase early in their gear collecting. More so than springing for a better lens. After all, we are told that if we don't have enough light we will need to use flash. But introducing a secondary light source changes our exposure triangle from the familiar triangle to a new shape, the square.

To give a little insight into how off-camera flash can be used to control light I will show a step-by-step example based on the recent daffodil meet up at Hubbard Park.


In camera metered for goo exposure on flowers
The first image is of a group of flowers I found in a roadside bed near the entrance of the park. I loved their composition and their color. I decided to shoot them from and angle equal to them in order to see the yellow centers better. I took a meter reading, keeping in mind that the bright sky would affect the reading, and shot of an exposure.

As you can see from this image the flowers are nicely exposed but the sky is blown out. Actually the white of the petals at the top of the flowers have also lost some of their texture.

Because of the bright sky the tops of the flowers are now lost. There is not enough contrast to separate the subject from the background. In order to make the white petals stand out the obvious decision is to darken the background.

Slight under exposed to darken the sky
Here's the catch; I know I will be introducing an external light source to lighten up the flowers in the foreground. That means I have to make sure I stay within my sync speed for my flash. That means I have to keep my shutter speed somewhere between 1/60 to 1/250th of a second. That means I can't go faster than 1/250th of a second on my shutter speed.

The photo above was taken at 1/160th of a second at f/11. I increased my shutter speed to 1/250th of a second (the fastest I can safely take the camera to and still capture the flash) and closed up my aperture to f/25. This cuts down on the light entering the camera effectively darkening the sky. You will also notice I gained some sharpness to my background.

You can see that the new exposure has darkened the flowers in the foreground. That's okay because, as I mentioned earlier, we will be lighting the flowers with a flash.

Flash used to bring our attention to the flowers
Up to this point it has been rather simple. Expose for the flowers we discover they get lost in the sky. Expose for the sky and the flowers get lost in the shadows. Keep the sky and light the flowers and we're good to go. But how much light do we need?

This is where experience and understanding how light works comes into play. A few trial and error settings and soon you'll have a shot like this one. In this case I started with the flash on 1/4 power and took a test shot. The result was too hot (too much light) and it washed out all the white petals.

I then powered down the flash to 1/16th power and it barely did anything. The third shot was at 1/8th power and that gave me the results you see here. A little backwards I know but I thought the 1/4 power was so much that 1/8th would have been too bright too. So you see, it's all about correcting for the problems.

Final image with post processing done  in LR3.
So now I take that last image, open it up in Lightroom, tweak a few settings and, viola, the end results. I am of the opinion that even if a photo looks good straight out of the camera it still needs to be developed. How much is done is up to the photographer and what the final results are imagined for the image.

In this case I was looking for more drama. The first thing I did was crop to an 8x10 format and added my vignette to see how the flowers stood out. I then burned in some shadows on the background flowers (bottom left and bottom right) so they weren't as prominent. Once the focus was on the flowers I boosted the luminance and vibrancy of the colors, deepened the shadows and did some spot removal.

Overall the whole processing time was less than ten minutes. The results, however, are awesome. Hope this inspires you to play around with light balances on your next session.

P.S. The result of the flower shot taken from my prone position shown above can be view on my 500px.com page.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.

What is the new normal after COVID?

A very large oak was uprooted by the wind and thrown across a stream. It fell among some Reeds, which it thus addressed: “I wonder how you, who are so light and weak, are not entirely crushed by these strong winds.” They replied, “You fight and contend with the wind, and consequently you are destroyed; while we on the contrary bend before the least breath of air, and therefore remain unbroken, and escape.” - Aesop's Fable