Skip to main content

5 tips for better photos


Ask any successful photographer and they'll tell you that great photographs are not taken, they are made.

I would go further and add that great moments happen that gives the photographer the opportunity to make great photos. We see examples of this every time we say, "Wow" to a print that takes our breath away with its beauty, power, essence; call it what you will. Yet these great opportunities would be nothing more than decent images without the technical skill, knowledge and discipline needed to take that opportunity and make it into something powerful.

This is what many beginners struggle with, myself included. We rely too much on the camera or react too quickly to our situation that we simply click the shutter and move on to something else. The results end up being nothing more than a snapshot. Not that snapshots don't have a place in our lives considering they document our daily lives. But a snapshot will seldom get someone to say, "Wow".

As I have gained experience I find myself looking back at some of my  earlier attempts and find the faults in them. Yet this is part of the whole pyramid of learning. By being able to identify the faults now we are able to anticipate the problems later and apply solutions in order to create better images. Like a pyramid, you cannot attain the next level without having a solid foundation to build on. Here are five tips to help you climb that pyramid.

  1. Learn  Your Equipment: It is hard to concentrate on what is happening in front of the camera if you don't know how to use the camera. If you've never heard me say this before, here it is again; "Read your manual!" That is the best starting point to learn the functions and settings. Then spend the time practicing with the equipment so it becomes second nature.
  2. Take Lots of Pictures: Don't be afraid of the camera or about making mistakes. It is through these mistakes that we learn how to correct them. Look at the process as a series of problem solving events. Too dark? Let's lighten it. Crooked background? Level the camera, etc. Social clubs, amateur groups and your local camera club all hold events to help you become a better photographer.
  3. Learn Editing Software: Unlike the film days when we sent our film out to be developed, with digital photography we have to do the developing ourselves. There are decent freeware and open source programs available to start with. As you gain experience you can then purchase more professional software.
  4. Take Classes: Lots and lots of classes. There is so much to learn that you can't absorb it all in just a few workshops. Each time you take a class you learn something new that builds on material you previously learned. Learn from a lot of teachers. One instructor may explain a technique better than another or you simply 'click' with one over another. The internet is also a great source for free training.
  5. Learn How To Critique: Flickr.com has hundreds of 'critique' groups*. Members can submit photos for other to take apart and explain what works and doesn't work with their photo. Begin by trolling through past posts and see what people say about the posted photo. Do you agree or disagree with the comments? When you can see the techniques used by others you will begin to develop your own techniques. Similarly, when you see the bad habits in others you learn to avoid those habits in your own work.

* NOTE: A side note about critique groups; you need to have a tough skin before you submit your own work. Photography is a personal art and negative feedback can be difficult to accept. Keep in mind that these are impartial viewers giving their opinion about what they see. Each viewer is going to interpret a photograph based on their emotions and experiences, not yours. Learn to step back and try to see what they see then make a conscious decision if their comments are credible.

Comments

  1. Exceptionally well written, Duck. If there is a sixth tip that I follow that is to slow down. I have learned that to shoot quickly is to spend more time processing to get something good. If I take the time to observe, from outside (think: wide-angle) in (think: zoomed in or macro) I see things differently in the same subject and I shoot more artistically from the start. Same can be said of fast moving events like sports - observe where the vantage points are that will be the most successful. It may not be the direction you are looking in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Post a comment only if it adds to the topic being discussed. Spam, hate or derogatory comments will not be allowed.

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.