Skip to main content

Fujifilm FinePix F505EXR review


I'm not one to brag about a product unless that product blows me away somehow. Those who know me also know I am not easily impressed. But I have to say, on record, I am throughly impressed by my new little compact camera; Fujifilm's FinePix F505EXR.

I have never owned a compact camera, ever. In the film days when 120mm cameras were all the rage I lugged around my Canon AE-1 program. When I made the transition to digital I went with the larger Kodak EasyShare before upgrading to the dSLR system. A more familiar format for myself. So what made me purchase such a small camera, you ask?

Two reasons; the first one is Bill Dillane. Bill is known to be attached at the hip to his little pocket camera. He is constantly posting images taken with that camera and his ability to 'get the shot' has always impressed me. Which only confirms the saying, "the best camera to have is the one that is in your hand."

The second reason is twofold; as a photography instructor running a photo group I should be (need to be) familiar with this format as well as the dSLR cameras. After all, point-and-shoot photographers are the most common type of photographer out there. If you don't believe me check out the vast amount of images being posted to social sites like Facebook. The cell phone camera is the number one most popular type of camera. I have also been asked to run some adult education classes on digital photography so...

I had originally purchased the newer F600EXR model as an open box discounted item. Unfortunately when I received the camera I realized the flash did not work and I was forced to return it. Live and learn. The only difference was that unit had a GPS built in. A nice feature but not a deal breaker for me. I had no plans to use the GPS feature anyway.

Out of the box the F505EXR was super easy to use. A quick and simple setup and I was up and running (after charging the battery). The LCD display is super clear, large and high definition. It is a 16 megapixel CMOS sensor though small compare to a dSLR, the image quality is pretty impressive. The real seller for me, aside form the 16MP, is the fact that it shoots in RAW and has a built in HDR feature.

The image at left is the waiting room of my studio. It is usually fairly dim and often lit by two overhead fluorescent recessed fixtures. Not the most ideal lighting. This shot is straight out of the camera, no post processing at all except for resizing.

Another really impressive feature is the auto-stitch panorama capabilities. It has several formats from short panos to full 360 degree panos. All done in-camera. Here is one, also shot in my studio.


As with any good compact camera the lens is phenomenal. From close ups to landscapes this little camera is proving to be able to handle so many different shooting situations. I'll leave you with this last image. I was literally three inches from the deodorant,

The nice thing about compact cameras is the convenience of having a camera available in a small, portable package. While I may never use this for my commercial work I like the fact that it has the power to be able to handle a wide variety of 'problem' shots. So next time you see me at an event don't be surprised if I pull this little gem out.

Comments

  1. what a heck! everyone knew that main problem should be zoom x15 (even x10 fuje don't knew to make decent) but no one review on this camera even not mention zoom at all. it very hrd to find samples on big zoom.that make me think that it real problem. and i do not need to buy
    why today? (simple see on craiglist like new, like cheap , but after some search in google decide do not buy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Post a comment only if it adds to the topic being discussed. Spam, hate or derogatory comments will not be allowed.

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.