Skip to main content

Quality vs Quantity - The Machine Gun Shooter


I was recently sharing some funny moments with a wedding photographer*, a member of MPG, when the subject on "machine gun" shooters came up. We have all either seen them at a photo event, know one or perhaps are one. They are the type of photographer that keeps their camera on high speed continuous shooting mode and will fire off 15 frames before anyone else has finished composing their first shot.



Last year my wife and I went to the Bronx Zoo hosted by a local photography group. We were all huddled in front of the glass to the gorilla enclosure when I heard that familiar barrage of shutter clicks. I turned to see a man with a nice Nikon and a similarly impressive lens standing above the crowd casually firing burst after rapid burst of... well, of lounging gorillas.

What? The animals aren't even moving. Where is the action this guy was trying to capture? Did he see something I was missing? I don't think so as the viewing area was rather restrictive. He just stood there and did a series of about half a dozen bursts and then was off to who knows what. The whole incident took maybe a total of three minutes.

I mentioned this to the wedding photographer* and he started chuckling in that, "I know exactly what you mean," chuckle. He then told me of a similar encounter when shooting with a friend of his. It seems his buddy had a 'happy trigger finger' too. What makes it funnier is the subject was a statue.

REALLY? Come on! What kind of action shot are you trying to catch here? When confronted on it, Captain Trigger exclaimed that he loves taking lots of pictures but admitted to suffering from creativity. I wonder why.

I did a shoot last year for a restaurant. I was to shoot ten food items for their menu. The whole shoot was just over two hours long and I took exactly 20 frames. I wonder what Captain Trigger would have done under the same conditions.

Thinking back on the gorilla incident, a quick mental estimation leaves me thinking that guy walked away with about 30 to 50 exposures of maybe 6 poses. Each one of those sequences will result in an identical shot since the animals (and the statue for that matter) were not moving. Not only did he label himself an amateur, he is not taking the time to understand composition. On top of that, he is using up the battery faster and putting unnecessary wear on the camera.

While at times continuous shutter mode is handy, a stationary subject is not one of them. Reserve your trigger finger, and your equipment, for when the action warrants it. Hope you enjoyed the stories.

* Name withheld to protect the member from retribution by the guilty...

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.