Skip to main content

Joe Klamar, what's the fuss?


From the, "what the..?" department
If you don't know who Joe Klamar is you probably don't follow current photo news (or don't care to). So before we even get into this post here are a few links to follow to catch you up on the latest hot photo topic.
 To get an idea of what a typical 'media day' shooting scene is like for these photographers read this article. You'll get a sense of the pressure these photographers are under.
Finally, here are a number of photos taken from the same event Joe Klamar was hired to shoot. The slide show also contains the work of other photographers who were under the same pressure and the same shooting constraints as Joe. As you look through them note the names and quality of the images. You will also notice that not all of Joe Klamar's photos are horrendous.

What prompted me to post about the photographer and his images was not the alleged quality of the images or the lack of constraint in releasing them publicly. Instead I want to talk about the comments other readers are leaving on these sites in regards to Klamar's photos.

One after the other the discussion is about one of several topics;
  • I would have shot it better
  • I can't believe they released these bad photos
  • The images are a disgrace to our athletes
  • The images are artistic interpretations
  • The images make a non-conformist/anti-establishment statement
For the most part the comments tear at the credibility of Joe Klamar as a professional photographer while at the same time expounding technique and doing a little grandstanding on the part of the commentator. Although Mr. Klamar has released a statement regarding the quality of the images what hasn't been discussed is that all this controversy has landed Mr. Klamar a position in photographic history.

Whether the images were created purposely or accidentally to be this bad will forever be the topic of contemplation. So too will the reasoning behind why the editors chose to release these images to the public. Specially when the name behind them is as auspicious as Getty Images. You can also contemplate why the photographer dared to submit these. But the truth of the matter is that they did get submitted, they did get approved and they did get released to the public.

It's interesting to note that while I was reading some of the comments I actually Googled some of the names of many of the people who commented negatively. None of them have a name of their own, meaning they are no one of particular importance to the photographic community. They're either local wedding/portrait photographers or hobbyists. Some didn't even have a background in photography which I thought was sad.

Not a single name stood out as having any photographic credibility. This reminds me of the saying, "everyone's a critic" but it also reminds me of the saying about opinions being like a certain orifice; everyone has one.

I'm of the opinion that if a comment doesn't move a conversation forward or add something new it's not worth commenting. Why repeat what ten other people before you wrote? Personally I love the controversy these images stirred up. I love that this guy has found his place on the map. I can guarantee he's going to profit from this, in one way or another. I predict his fifteen minutes of fame will go a long way regardless of my personal feelings about this series of images.

We need a few more Joe Klamars to kick the hornet's nest and get people talking.

Comments

  1. Hello Chuck, thank you for this well researched and insightful blog post! Very interesting indeed. I have not checked out all the links you posted yet, but did see some of the images that were being criticized. I, too, was curious about all the information that was being left out (photographer constraints, who was on the approving committee, etc.)

    Thank you for pointing out who the critics were, or in this case, were not. I think the media is ridiculous, in any case, and I just know this photographer will get the opportunity to showcase his talent. There is NO such thing as Bad Publicity! Ha ha.

    Annelies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me crazy, I like Klamar's Phelps photo. It's original and inviting.

    People who are used to doing portrait shoots and used to the lighting required are, of course, going to be better at it than a photog who does sports action photography. Also, photogs who have a wedding business or do studio portraiture of course get the luxury of photoshop, which a Getty photog or any other photog shooting in a photojournalistic style do NOT get to do. Now, take the average wedding photographer and ask them to shoot a horse race or a hockey game? Likely, they won't excel at that task.

    Klamar is a photojournalist used to shooting red carpet events, not a studio photographer. He apparently was told that he'd be shooting the athletes on a stage, like at a press conference, not a studio setup. I'd like to see how these critics "who can do better" perform without the correct equipment and no notice. Oh, and they get about 3 minutes to compose the subject and shoot.

    I think some of his shots are fantastic. Others? Not so much, but more not my style than "bad photograph" because photography is art, which is subjective. What you think is a bad photograph is your perception. I may think it's fantastic. Imagine how boring photography would be if no one ever broke the "rules"???

    And, from this slideshow, I think some of these photographs are just that, fantastic.
    http://www.vuvox.com/collage/detail/05b11cb1a9

    -tara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Post a comment only if it adds to the topic being discussed. Spam, hate or derogatory comments will not be allowed.

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.