Skip to main content

FE Lock for better exposures


I have posted several articles on exposure triangle, getting proper exposure, metering, and so on. Today's article will focus on a camera function that can greatly help you set your exposure out in the field during those high contrast days. That function is your camera's exposure lock or FE Lock.

I first have to preface this by mentioning that not all cameras have this feature. Before you tell me your camera doesn't have this feature do yourself a favor. Look in your manual for "exposure lock" to make sure (just in case). Some cameras also allow you to customize button assignment. Typically the button is placed somewhere near the shutter release and is marked with an asterisk (*).


Exposure lock only works if you are using your camera in one of the auto modes (aperture priority, shutter priority, program, etc.) It will not work in manual since you control exposure instead of the camera.

In a typical setup, the camera's lens is used for both focusing and metering, based on the type of focusing and metering mode you select. Pressing the shutter button half way activates both the auto focus and the built-in meter. So by default, whatever you're focusing on is what you are also metering. However, not all lighting situations work with this set up. Specially high contrast scenes where there are heavy shadows. Or scenes where there are overly bright or overly dark backgrounds.

The function of this button is pretty straight forward, you are telling the camera what exposure you want to use. Aim  you camera at a spot you want to meter for exposure, press the FE Lock button and it 'locks' your exposure to that setting. You can then recompose your scene, press the shutter and, voila, a properly exposed image based on the area you want to expose for and not what the camera sees for framing.

To best use this function set your camera to spot or center weighted metering. That way you can use a small section of the scene as your meter target rather than a larger zone, evaluative or matrix spread.

 The image at left is the visitor center at Bent of the River Audubon conservation center in Southbury, CT. A favorite stop for many local nature photographers and bird watchers.

If you notice the light hitting the building you can see that it was a bright, contrasty day. I am interested in the building so I wouldn't bother metering the sky since that would underexpose the building. The building, however, has mixed light falling on it. This leaves me two choices, meter the light or meter the shadow. Since digital cameras handle shadows better than highlights I chose to meter the light area of the building. In this case I actually metered on the gray roof then made some adjustments in Lightroom in post. If I had metered the shadows I would have overexposed the light hitting the roof and center area, loosing detail there. So keep this in mind, you have more leeway with shadows and can regain that information in post processing but overexposed images that have gone completely white can never be recovered.

Here is another commonly found problem, shadows under hats. These two guys were on the Waterbury green on a shady day, beautiful for street photography. They saw me with the camera and allowed me to take some shots of them. Since I wanted to see their faces (though one was a little shy) I needed to make sure my exposure was proper for the shadows under the hats. If you have your camera set to spot metering and you're close enough to your subject the process is easy. Aim at the eyes and shoot. However I was a bit further ways with a 400mm lens. Instead I metered the shadow under in the armpit area. You can see that I lost some information in the white hat but that's okay since the hat wasn't all that important.

With practice, using the FE Lock button will become second nature and you then won't have to compromise because of your focus.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.