Skip to main content

I see dumb people...


If you are the type of photographer that likes to keep up with what's happening in the world of photography then most likely you subscribe or at least visit a variety of web sites and blogs. I know I have my favorite blogs I visit on a regular basis and my inbox is constantly bombarded with newsletters and updates. It's nice having a finger on the industry pulse.

I was recently reading some comments on B&H regarding Canon's newest lens offering; the 40mm 2.8 pancake lens with STM auto-focusing technology. However, this isn't an article about the lens or the advancement in technology or even the incorporation of film technology into still photography. It is an observation on the mentality of the consumer comments regarding the lens. In particular the lack of intelligence portrayed in some of the post by what should be informed consumers.

While this is a departure from my normal style of article I thought I'd try a topic that would initiate conversation. So let me give some background first. I was reading an article posted on B&H's web site in their "Learn in Depth" section. As I mentioned above it was regarding Canon's upcoming release of their new 40mm prime lens. You can read the article here; "Canon’s New EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake Lens Doesn’t Waffle on Quality", by Boyd Hagen.

Several things caught my attention but the first was the lack of knowledge about one's own gear from the commentators. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you own a dSLR shouldn't you know if you have a full frame or a cropped frame sensor? After all, this has a major and direct influence on the kind of lenses you can purchase.

The same goes for the type of lens mount the camera uses. There were too many, "does this lens fit on my Canon  insert model here ," posts. After all, most camera manufacturers have standardized mounting systems and they don't tend to change all that often. Canon changed theirs from their FD mount to the EF mount so long ago I can't even remember. Maybe I'm just too involved with my equipment.

Also, regarding cropped sensors, shouldn't the owner of a crop sensor camera be aware that a 40mm lens is not 40mm on an APS-C sized sensor? I would think that would be something a camera owner would learn really early if they read their camera manual. Again, am I just biased because I have been around SLR's for so long? Granted not everyone may have the ratio differences committed to memory, but they should at least be aware that there are issues.

Then there is the person who asked if the fixed 40mm prime lens could zoom. I loved the response, "to zoom in, step forward, to zoom out, step backward." I found myself shaking my head and chuckling, both at the wit of the response and the lunacy of the person who asked such a question publicly.

Not that I'm indifferent to beginners, just that I can't understand how people fail to understand some of the most basic aspects of their equipment. "Maybe they're only a casual photographer," you say, or perhaps, "they're just starting out." That may be true, but you would think a quick check in a manual or online before putting up a rookie remark to a photo site would seem prudent.

It could be that I have been so far removed from the 'newbie' stage that I forget what it's like not understanding some of the most basic of features. Maybe what I think is basic really isn't so basic to others. Perhaps I'm too old fashioned and I'm more book-bound and all this open sharing on the internet is too spontaneous that people post without giving thought.

As an analogy, I feel like an observer watching someone walk up to a 'do not enter' sign and they ask if they can go in that way. As if the sign never existed. A little fore thought and, well, you get the gist. Maybe the overall picture is that we as a society rely too much on others to give us an answer that we become lazy to seeking out the answers ourselves with a little research and study.

In retrospect, as I try to put myself into the mindset of a beginner I start to wonder how many features are on my equipment that I really don't have a full grasp of. I'm sure someone who knows the answer to my questions would probably shake their head and chuckle knowingly at me, thinking to themselves, "what a bone brain".

Comments

  1. Interesting article; I think it's perhaps the boom of D-slr users, "low prices," "easy to buy," "you must have one," it's what's HOT." If you ask me, there is an increase of users between P&S to an advanced type of camera. I have a LOT of family, and most, if not everyone, has a D-slr, or at least wants one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment Duck. I think you are doing fine. You know when I grew up and maybe you too. What was left was left, and what was right was right. Now what is right is left and what is left is right? Does that make sense? It seems like the rule book has been thrown out the window. I love the zooming comment. That cracked me up. I will remember that one, move in or out with your body...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Duck, the zoom reply is epic!! I think it's a dual thing. One, people don't put in the time to get informed anymore, likely due to the information age (ironic moniker...) and the barrage of data coming at us from every corner. It's easier and faster to just type up a question than go find your answer. I see that even in the Meetup events when someone posts a question that's clearly explained/answered in the event description.

    Two, like safoed said, everyone nowadays owns a dSLR but they either never even read the manual or found it too technical and have long forgotten it.

    In defense of newbies who haven't done any reading/researching, the word "prime" doesn't tell the consumer that it's not a zoom and only has one length setting. As for the cropped/full frame debate, I actually have to admit that, while I knew that not all Canon lenses would fit on any Canon body, I discovered the real difference only after getting more involved with photography (with Meetup), a level at which many beginners will never rise.

    "to zoom in, step forward, to zoom out, step backward" -- LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Post a comment only if it adds to the topic being discussed. Spam, hate or derogatory comments will not be allowed.

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Friends, Photos and Central Park

A good friend, and fellow photographer, Letif Belcher (of letif.b.photo on Instagram) was in my studio recently doing some headshots for a young female actress client of his. The topic of New York came up and he mentioned wanting to take the trip in for some street photography. I love getting into the city with my camera and mentioned to him that it's been a while since I've been there. A couple days later and we had a trip planned to hit Central Park. Letif and I took the train into Grand Central last Friday and, cameras in hand, headed uptown to the park. As he'd never been there I planned out a few 'must see' spots to hit. Our first stop would be the famous LOVE art installation on the corner of 6th and 55th. Much to my dismay, the sculpture was "out for repair". Off to a bad start.