Skip to main content

Flash free-for-all meetup serves great lessons


In the past, if I wanted to present a new technique or concept that I wasn't too sure of I would head out with my camera to iron out the wrinkles. I would then have the confidence when presenting information that I knew what the heck I was talking about. But as I have pointed out so many times, it's more fun shooting with others than by yourself. So for the latest workshop I decided to try a different approach.

Instead of learning the technique ahead of time, we would learn the technique together. Let me tell you, we had a blast. Although this post isn't about what we did I do want to share a few words about how we did it.


The premise was simple. Here is a technique I saw posted on one of my favorite blogs. I want to experiment with the technique but I don't want to do it alone. I have the equipment, the room and all the miscellaneous stuff to practice with. It's a nice DIY project as well.

I also understand that other members don't have the type of equipment I do and this type of format would allow them to get a feel for how this stuff gets used. So it's a perfect setup for learning and sharing all the way around. It ended up being Anshul, Greg, Ray and myself; small and intimate.

The workshop was designed to play with DIY colored gels on a flash in order to alter the color temperature of our image in-camera. I simple enough technique... or so I thought. I soon discovered that trying to replicate something from memory that was seen once the week prior was not the best way to do it. I ended up playing the tutorial video for the group and soon discovered that I was missing a step. Within moments we were all knocking our heads together and rejoicing at our new found skills when we finally go it. Yea skills!

In the process, Ray shared his DIY colored gel system and I picked up a nice little modification for my set. Greg offered up some great technical tidbits and Anshul... well, let's say he really learned some new skill that day. Which brings me to my main point.

Anshul had some difficulty getting his camera to do a custom white balance. He shoots Nikon and I shoot canon. While I am not overly familiar with nikon, by helping Anshul figure out his problem he inadvertently helped me with mine. I am now a lot more familiar with the Nikon menu system.

Because I don't have direct access to a Nikon I don't have the luxury of playing with one whenever the mood hits. So if someone asks me how do you do such-and-such on a Nikon I really can't offer much in terms of a real answer. I have to defer to another member who does shoot Nikon. Which leaves me still in the dark. Since we were all troubleshooting Anshul's situation it afforded me the opportunity to play with a Nikon, thereby learning something new myself. So, Anshul, if you are reading this, thank you for letting me play with your camera.

While you may be a beginner, an amateur or a pro, there is always something to be learned. And just because you may be an amateur that doesn't mean you don't have something to offer. Sometimes what you have to offer may not be obvious but then, that's the wonderful thing about getting together with others who share the same passions. You never know what you'll walk away with.

P.S. I'll be posting about working with gels, flash and white balance in upcoming articles so don't worry that I didn't explain much here. Stay tuned.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Friends, Photos and Central Park

A good friend, and fellow photographer, Letif Belcher (of letif.b.photo on Instagram) was in my studio recently doing some headshots for a young female actress client of his. The topic of New York came up and he mentioned wanting to take the trip in for some street photography. I love getting into the city with my camera and mentioned to him that it's been a while since I've been there. A couple days later and we had a trip planned to hit Central Park. Letif and I took the train into Grand Central last Friday and, cameras in hand, headed uptown to the park. As he'd never been there I planned out a few 'must see' spots to hit. Our first stop would be the famous LOVE art installation on the corner of 6th and 55th. Much to my dismay, the sculpture was "out for repair". Off to a bad start.