Skip to main content

Simple DIY Flower Backdrop


Photos of flowers are a great way for new shooters to learn about photography. They are beautiful to look at, they stay in one place without complaint and there is a sense of accomplishment when you get a print worthy of hanging on your wall.

Last week I shared five flower photography points to be aware of. You may read this and think the information is more common sense than useable tips but you would be surprised how easy it is to forget them. So rather than hash over the basics I thought I'd share a very simple, easy to make and easy to transport backdrop for your flower photos.

As I mentioned in the above post, some flowers look their best when they are isolated from their background. Typically a white or black background work best but other colors can be used depending on your needs. Obviously you would shoot light colors against black and vise versa. The image to the left was taken against a black background. I should have used a white one as they would have made the flowers stand out more but I was in a hurry and I only had my black card with me. Anyhow...

The set up is easy. You will need two large plastic spring loaded 'A' clamps, a sheet of white poster board and a sheet of black foam cored presentation board. I got mine at the local Wal-Mart. You can also find them at office and art supply stores (Staples, Michaels, A.C.Moore, Hobby House). The foam board comes 20" by 30" and is just under 1/4" thick. I found the clamps at Ocean State Job Lot but they can be had inexpensively at Odd Lots or any hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace).

To prepare the board glue the poster board to one side of the foam board. A spray adhesive is easiest. If you use liquid glue make sure you cover the board completely and smooth out the air bubbles. Let dry overnight.

The materials are inexpensive and, when dry, I cut the board into four sections of different sizes. The diagram here shows the typical way I cut the sheet. The resulting sizes are; one 1/2 sheet at 15"x20", one 1/4 sheet at 10"x15" and two 1/8 sheets at 7.5"x10" pieces. The 1/4 and 1/8 sheet sizes are the most common ones I use as they are easiest to carry. Of course you can cut any of these further as needed (or leave at full size). For example, if you don't need the half sheet size just cut it in half for two additional quarter sheets. They make a very convenient and usable size.

The nice thing about these sections of foam board is that they can be used for so much. Use one piece as a backdrop and a second as a light blocker. Simply hold the card over your flower like an umbrella to reduce glare. Use one card for background and the white side of another as a reflector to remove shadows. You can even use them to help block a breeze.

To use this set up take you half or quarter sheet and clamp two 'A' clamps at the bottom corners (see image at left). I clamp them at a slight angle downward so it creates rudimentary legs. The spread of the clamp handles plus their weight makes the foam board stand up behind your subject. Keep in mind that the larger the board the easier it is for a breeze to knock it over. The good thing is you can use rocks as weights on the clamps.

For best results you need to keep two things in mind. First, try to give some space between your subject and the background. This will help blur the texture of the card. Second, depending on the card's color, you will need to pay attention to the card's orientation. When you use the white side angle the board so light is hitting it fairly strongly. This will help turn the card white (remember your 18% gray theory). The opposite applies to the black card. Keeping it shaded helps reduce the grayness. For best results tilt the white card up to the sky and the black card down to the ground.

UPDATE:

An alternative to gluing a white card to a black board is to purchase an all white foam core board and a can of matt black spray paint (or any color of your choosing). Paint one side of the white board for a two toned background card.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Friends, Photos and Central Park

A good friend, and fellow photographer, Letif Belcher (of letif.b.photo on Instagram) was in my studio recently doing some headshots for a young female actress client of his. The topic of New York came up and he mentioned wanting to take the trip in for some street photography. I love getting into the city with my camera and mentioned to him that it's been a while since I've been there. A couple days later and we had a trip planned to hit Central Park. Letif and I took the train into Grand Central last Friday and, cameras in hand, headed uptown to the park. As he'd never been there I planned out a few 'must see' spots to hit. Our first stop would be the famous LOVE art installation on the corner of 6th and 55th. Much to my dismay, the sculpture was "out for repair". Off to a bad start.