Skip to main content

Depth of Field - A DIY Workshop


Depth of field. It's a commonly used term tossed around by all photographers more often than can be counted. Because it is so much a part of our vocabulary we assume we know what it is and how to achieve it. That is until you are pressed to explain it or, worse still, when you are trying to achieve it and you're wracking your brain because you just can't seem to get it.

Yes, on the surface we do understand what depth of field is. We are even happy when we achieve that blurred effect we were so longing for. The trick is to be consistent with it and understand why we have that consistency. Here is a little exercise to help you understand how depth of field works and how to achieve more consistent results.

In a recent workshop I explained the definition of depth of field, explained focal planes and hammered the need to play with lenses to find their strengths and limitations. We then went through a series of exercises to illustrate how the participants could better understand depth of field, focal planes and understand their lens' capabilities.

First we began indoors with a simple depth of field scale I had printed out for each of the attendees. I had all the members attach their close up or macro lens to their cameras. They then placed the scales on a flat surface and had them take an image of the scale from a 45° angle using a wide open aperture setting. They then repeated the procedure with a narrower aperture setting. This allows them to compare the difference in depth of field at a close rage to their subject.

This simple scale serves a dual purpose as it not only allows you to play with depth of field but to also help calibrate your lens' focal plane (for cameras that allow adjustment). By checking the sharpness of focus in front of and behind the focal plane it helps determine if a camera has front or rear focus. While not the most technical method of calibration, it does introduce the beginner to the process.

I then placed three targets labeled 'A', 'B' and 'C' on three light stands and placed them at various distances. I had each photographer do a series of three exposures at various aperture settings so they could physically see the results of their settings. By varying the distances of the targets to each other and to the camera, the photographer is able to determine the capabilities and limitations of each of their lenses.

This exercise can be recreated by you at home for your own experimentation. Download and print the two files listed below. Use heavy paper or card stock for durability. Mount the lettered targets on cardboard for stiffness. Instructions on their use are included with the files.

For the depth of field focusing targets, I used light stands as they are height adjustable, sturdy and light weight. Offset each from each other so you are able to see all three targets when you photograph them. Shoot in series of three shots beginning with 'A'. Vary the distances of the targets to each other and to the camera. Keep a notebook handy for recording target distances, lens focal lengths, settings and results. This will help in understanding each of your lens' abilities and limitations. It will also help in setting up your scene when working with your subjects or clients.



Download the Depth of Field Scale and the Depth of Field Focus Targets from the 'files' section of the meetup.com site.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.