Skip to main content

Repetition is part of the Learning Process


I hosted a workshop for a small group yesterday on the subject of using Adobe's Lightroom 3. Because of the small size we were able to not only go over a lot of material but to also formulate the workshop to the needs of the attending members. At many points I could see the frustration in peoples eyes as they tried comprehending the material being presented and Betty, one of our members, had this to say.

"There is a lot to learn. You will be taking these classes several times."

She is so right.

Learning photography is a slow buildup from one step to the next. The thing to is that you really can't skip any steps. In order to progress you need to have the foundation knowledge in place otherwise you are completely lost.

What makes it tougher is that there are two sides to this crazy hobby/job that we need to be immersed in fully; taking the photo and processing the photo. This means we need to learn the ins and outs of photography and all it entails (equipment, lighting, composition, narrative, balance, etc) and then how to bring out our initial vision in post processing (correcting, manipulating, layering, etc.).

So if at any time you start feeling frustrated, don't give up hope. Realize that you are passing through a process we all must follow. Here is a trick that works for me when things begin to overwhelm me. Set everything aside and don't touch it for a couple of days. Let your mind re-set itself. Then when you return to the camera pick one very small aspect of the problem and work on resolving that. It might be something directly linked to some button or function on the camera or a setting combination you just can't grasp.

Whatever it is, try to distill it to it's basic form or function and start from ground zero. Begin by doing a quick review of what you already know. Go back to your camera (or equipment) manual and refresh your memory. You will get the tendency to skip or rush through the easy stuff. Force yourself to slow down and revisit these early memories. Many times it is during this part of the review where you will get that "a-ha!" moment and a connection will click.

I can't tell you how many times I have done this and that proverbial light bulb has come on over my head. I'll catch myself feeling rather stupid with myself for not having seen it earlier.

Another point I'd like to make is that you need to learn from different teachers. Different teachers will offer different perspectives on the same subject. Somewhere along the way one of them will have that little sliver of wisdom that makes the pieces fall together for you. Different views also help round out, shape and solidify a theory better than just one person telling you the same thing over and over.

So don't give up hope. It's frustrating at times but, as with anything else, practice makes perfect.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.