Skip to main content

BTS - Cutting Board


Duck_348
My New Year's resolution is to get my portfolio organized and filled out more with the kind of work I want to do. I have been procrastinating enough and it's high time I got serious with my work. My goal for 2013 is to actively pursue clients to increase my workflow.

To that end I have been setting up some product and food shots in my studio in order to create content for my portfolio. This cutting board is one I just finished shooting so I thought I would share the setup with you.

The arrangement is inspired by a similar setup I came across on the internet. All the materials were readily available in my pantry except for the fresh rosemary.

I set all the items in roughly place in the arrangement I wanted. At this point there is no styling on the food, I'm just looking to get the exposure. As you can see with this first image the light is a little off, creating a hot spot on the lower left side of the frame. It took some maneuvering but I finally got the light looking like I wanted.

Since this is a flat spread with absolutely no depth of field I was looking for relatively soft even light. Because the shot is a direct overhead shot none of the items are featured therefore nothing really needs to be modeled.

Once I was happy with the overall look of the light I began dressing the set. This is where attention is given to the interplay of all the elements to each other, to the background and to the negative space.

You can see in this shot that the spice (chili powder) in the bowl is all clumpy looking. I spent about 15 minutes getting the chili powder to look nice and smooth yet natural. In the end this kind of attention pays off.

These first two images are straight from the camera with no retouching. You can see that elements are getting straightened out and products tweaked into place. The final composition is the first image above. You can see some of the subtle moves in the mushrooms ad rosemary. I also flattened out the table cloth to remove the distracting shadows caused by the waves in the cloth.

The final step is to import it into Light Room for post processing. In this particular case I didn't do too much. I adjusted my white and black levels, boosted the saturation a bit and corrected the angle. I cropped in a little tighter just to remove all the extra space around the composition.

Here is my setup; my main light is a fluorescent light overhead and slightly to the back. The large white area on the right is actually a translucent shower curtain. It is diffusing two clip-on utility lights with daylight balanced fluorescent bulbs. On a low table I have m props set out with white cards to bounce light back toward the shadow side of the cutting board.

I have my camera on a tripod with the center support pole swung out over the table so I can shoot from overhead. The camera is so high up that i had to stand on a chair to shoot. I normally shoot tethered but I'm having issues with my laptop right now.

Because am shooting with continuous light I have to use a long shutter. I am at 1/20th of a second at f/8 with an ISO of 200. Since depth of field wasn't an issue I chose f/8 so that everything was in focus without sacrificing light.

As you can see, the setup is relatively simple with not a lot of fancy equipment. Hope this inspires you.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.

What is the new normal after COVID?

A very large oak was uprooted by the wind and thrown across a stream. It fell among some Reeds, which it thus addressed: “I wonder how you, who are so light and weak, are not entirely crushed by these strong winds.” They replied, “You fight and contend with the wind, and consequently you are destroyed; while we on the contrary bend before the least breath of air, and therefore remain unbroken, and escape.” - Aesop's Fable