Skip to main content

Understanding exposure - stops


Another term that posses problems for beginners is the word stop. It is used in just about every aspect of photography.

APERTURE: "I'm overexposed. I need to close up a stop."
ISO: "My light dropped a full stop during the time I was shooting the sunset. I compensated by bumping up my ISO a stop."
SHUTTER SPEED: "The difference between freezing and blurring the action was only a few stops." 
EQUIPMENT PHYSICS: "You will loose about a stop when you add an extension tube on your lens."
STUDIO LIGHTING: "Your main light needs to be two stops brighter than your fill light."

But what is a stop, and why does it apply to so much? We'll get into that but first you should realize that it has taken photography technology a long time to get here although the principle is as old as photography.

A stop is a measurement. It measures a small sliver of light and allows a camera to mix a bunch of light slivers until you get the right amount to record an image. Each one of these slivers changes the light by a factor of about 1.4 which basically doubles the light.

Smarter people than I came up with this value but it makes understanding how light is interpreted by the camera a little bit easier. All I have to remember is that adding a stop doubles the light and dropping a stop cuts it in half. But this is still a little vague.

The chart at left is a visual representation of stops. Each step illustrates a doubling of light by a factor of 1.4 (numbers in yellow). I have also included aperture, shutter speed and ISO scales, each increasing in steps by one stop. NOTE: F-stop, shutter speed and ISO numbers are grouped together for illustration purposes only. There is no correlation between these items to each other and are used to show the doubling or halving of light at each step.

So if we look at the aperture settings, as an example (in green), you will see that each f/stop increase opens the lens opening just a little bit. Each time it opens it allows twice the amount of light as the previous setting. Open it again and you double it again. Simple.

The same principle applies to shutter speed and ISO. With shutter speed we are dealing with a time value. When you slow down the speed of the shutter you are increasing the amount of time the sensor is exposed to light. Each shutter stop allows twice as much light to fall on the sensor as the previous stop. You speed the time up and the reverse is applied.

ISO settings are the same. You increase the setting one stop and you increase the sensitivity to light. The more sensitive, the more light it records. You get the picture.

QUANTITATIVE EXPOSURE

When a camera makes an exposure (a picture) it does so in a quantitative manner. This means that is takes multiple slivers of light added together until there is enough light being collected to properly record on the sensor. This is where  your meter comes into play.

The way you attain proper exposure is by adjusting your camera's settings to allow the right amount of light in. Each element controls a different aspect of the image; aperture for depth of field, shutter speed for action and ISO for light sensitivity.

So as you are shooting keep in mind that once you set your camera for proper exposure you can make lateral adjustments  to your exposure. For example, if  you need more depth of field you close up on your aperture and open up on your shutter speed or ISO the same number of stops.

Most Popular Posts

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.

What is the new normal after COVID?

A very large oak was uprooted by the wind and thrown across a stream. It fell among some Reeds, which it thus addressed: “I wonder how you, who are so light and weak, are not entirely crushed by these strong winds.” They replied, “You fight and contend with the wind, and consequently you are destroyed; while we on the contrary bend before the least breath of air, and therefore remain unbroken, and escape.” - Aesop's Fable