Skip to main content

DIY tabletop foam core bounce card holders


Working with tabletop photography presents its own set of challenges. It seems that the smaller the product the smaller the light modifiers seem to get. Specially when you are looking to highlight just a small, specific area of the product. Then there are the multitude of reflective and refractive surfaces that can cause any sane person to pull their hair out. When you start crowding all this onto a small table you have to be careful not to cause a domino effect of destruction.

When dealing with bounce cards (a favorite solution for a great many issues) the problem becomes how to support the cards without taking up a lot of valuable table real estate. One solution I found is the use of a simple DIY holder made from discarded 2x4 pine studs. You can see them in use in this photo (circled red) holding up some black and white foam core bounce cards.

Their design is incredibly simple and can be done on any standard table saw. If you don't have a table saw of your own, consider asking a friend or relative to make these for you. A couple dozen can be cranked out in less than an hour. The beauty is that any scrap piece of lumber can be made into these handy holders.

Step 1: Begin by ripping a two by four into square stock. Choose the side with the least amount of knots or deformities.

Most two by fours will have slightly rounded edges. Don't worry about this as a bit of sanding on the cutoff side will even them out. I suggest taking some sandpaper to the finished pieces just to soften the edges and remove splinters.

Step 2: Once you have your smoothed, softened and squared stock of material you will need to cut them down to useable sizes. I found that a length twice the size of the width works well. It gives enough weight to hold up an eighth sheet of foam core board (roughly 5x8).

You can set the table saw rail to the appropriate spacing and cut the length into as many pieces as you have material for. You will want to make at least a dozen. If you need additional weight to hold up a card, simply add another holder to the opposite edge.

Step 3: Here you need to be a bit more precise. The groove you cut into the holder needs to be wide enough to allow the edge of the foam board to slide into it but not too loose that it falls out easily. That can be frustrating. Having a little grab is best. It allows you to place the holder in various places along the card edge without it sliding around (useful for angling cards). The depth of the groove should be one half the width.

If you care to spend a little more time with it, you can turn the piece 180 degrees and add a second groove on the opposite side. Not that it's needed, but it gives you options.

How to use them: This illustration gives you some ideas of how I have used these holders in my own studio. I place the long end to the rear of the card, away from the product, so that it supports the card from behind. This avoids the potential of it coming into frame as you move the cards back and forth.

For larger cards, a second holder can be added for the extra weight. By inching the holder upwards along the edge you are able to angle the card back. To angle forward you simply need to turn the holder the opposite way.

If you look closely at my photo above, you will see that the holders also have a groove running the long ways. These were my prototypes and I quickly found that the long groove was rather inadequate. I also made smaller square holders but they are only suitable for holding really small cards. They don't have the weight to keep cards upright.

Feel free to make these for your own studio. If you find yourself making improvements on this design, share them with others by posting your findings here.

Enjoy.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.