Skip to main content

Small Critter Photo Hunt - a MPG meet up



Sometimes I hate Murphy and his law, you know, the one that says, "if something can go wrong it will go wrong."

That's how I felt with this past meetup event. "So what went wrong?" you ask. For starters, the nice field of tall grass had very recently been mowed by the city. All those wonderful insects I had photographed on my previous visit no longer had a home to play in. Instead, our group faced a vast open space that any remaining small critter could spot us coming from a mile away.

And don't get me started on the weather. Rain that was supposed to stop early the previous day ended up going on into the night. While rain isn't that big an issue, since it tends to bring the insects out in the morning for some sunbathing and drying out, it did make for some sloshy walking around. Not much fun. The only thing we found were the various species of birds.

The small pond was home to a family of Canadian geese who were rather active that morning. For the most part they kept themselves on their little island habitat. I think one or two of the birds were nesting. I even spotted a painted turtle twice which I never noticed before. Or are there two turtles and I'm thinking they're both and the same?

When it comes to photographing nature I understand that, as the photographer, I am on nature's schedule. I don't expect to have wildlife just jump out and say "cheese" for my lens but, as an event leader, I wish for events to turn out much better than what our members expect and this was no exception. I chose this particular field because it has never let me down in the past. I have found countless insects from dragonflies and skippers to grasshoppers and caterpillars. Small birds are everywhere and there is even a family of rabbits in the area. While I've yet to see any, I'm sure there are plenty of squirrels and chipmunks in the treeline.

Although this event yielded little in portfolio worthy images, it does make you think about the patience and dedication wildlife photographers put into their work. Thumbing through magazines like National Geographic and seeing those award winning photos I have a deeper respect for what they had to go through in order to capture those images. My short time trudging through a wet marshy field is nothing in comparison.

This particular day may have had it's share of disappointment but it was not a complete wash out (pun intended). I did get to meet some new members and we did get to enjoy a rather nice, if not soggy, day. Besides, fresh air never hurt anyone, as our elders used to say. While I can't control the weather or the city's mowing crew, we will be doing this one again. This time let's cross our fingers that Murphy will keep his laws out of our plans.

P.S. Check out the images from this event on our meetup site.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.

What is the new normal after COVID?

A very large oak was uprooted by the wind and thrown across a stream. It fell among some Reeds, which it thus addressed: “I wonder how you, who are so light and weak, are not entirely crushed by these strong winds.” They replied, “You fight and contend with the wind, and consequently you are destroyed; while we on the contrary bend before the least breath of air, and therefore remain unbroken, and escape.” - Aesop's Fable