Skip to main content

Slow climb to building a solid reputation


I have a great business as a tattoo artist. I have loyal customers, a stellar reputation and solid street cred amongst many of my peers. Thinking back on how I have achieved this I realize it was a slow climb to my success. It did not just happen overnight.

The same is true in the photography business. It's not like one day you hang a sign outside your door and, presto, you have a thriving business. It requires a lot of work, a lot of patience and a lot of time. The key to building a business, however, can be narrowed down to a single word; reputation. No other aspect holds as much value in business as that one word.

Face it, if you have a bad reputation you will not be in business for very long. Without business you won't have an income coming in. However, if you have a good reputation it is an indicator that you are doing something right and your business will thrive. How can you have a good reputation if you have lousy business skills? How about a lousy personality? Bad record keeping? Unable to deliver a product? It just doesn't work that way. You fail in one aspect you ruin your reputation. Ruin your reputation and you ruin your business.

If a photographic business is your goal you need to establish a foundation of quality and truthfulness. Don't cheat your customers to make a few extra bucks. Don't sacrifice quality because you're tired. Don't lie to cover your ass. Customers are not stupid. They can spot bad business a mile away. You may fool one or two but that will only get the ball rolling against you. Word of mouth spreads like wildfire.

What I have learned is that good news tends to travel slow. Bad news spreads like poison ivy on sensitive skin. I also learned that satisfied customers are your best form of advertising. Do right by them and they will drive business to you. Guaranteed. So remember, your reputation is your key to success.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Friends, Photos and Central Park

A good friend, and fellow photographer, Letif Belcher (of letif.b.photo on Instagram) was in my studio recently doing some headshots for a young female actress client of his. The topic of New York came up and he mentioned wanting to take the trip in for some street photography. I love getting into the city with my camera and mentioned to him that it's been a while since I've been there. A couple days later and we had a trip planned to hit Central Park. Letif and I took the train into Grand Central last Friday and, cameras in hand, headed uptown to the park. As he'd never been there I planned out a few 'must see' spots to hit. Our first stop would be the famous LOVE art installation on the corner of 6th and 55th. Much to my dismay, the sculpture was "out for repair". Off to a bad start.