Skip to main content

Sunburn, big boobs and sexy cops


Here they are, big boobs!
Yesterday Diane, her friend, Dolores, and I went to Coney Island with the Mid-CT Photography Meetup Group for the 30th annual Mermaid Festival. Sue Fenton was our hostess and did a marvelous job in organizing the meet up.

Having seen photos from the previous year's event I knew I did not want to miss thie event this year and I''m so happy I went. The event was threatened with bad weather in the days leading up to Saturday. With a nasty thunderstorm just the night before. As it turned out, the day was clear and the sun was out. In full force. Not the greatest for a photographer as it makes for some very contrasty images. Not to mention the burned skin.

But the best thing about the event wasn't the crazy costumed participants, the sexy cop (I'll tell you about him later) or the throng of people. It was Massimo, Sanjeev, Marla, Sue and all the other members who came out to share in all that craziness.

Can  you say, Nat Geo Wild?
The reason I mention this is because one of the things I really noticed were the rather large number of photographers that were at the festival. I'm not talking about your common parade goer who has his cell phone or her little pocket camera. They were there in droves too. I'm talking about people with serious equipment. The kind of person you look at and say, "he's a pro."

You can also tell who was there to 'work' the parade because they were roaming free on the parade side of the barricade, getting in everyone's way. At one point a photographer came up close to our group and we noticed his shooting vest had the prestigious National Geographic logo embroidered on the front. Not that it means he was shooting for NG, but he was sporting it.

I watched these guys and gals (quite a few female photographers were out there) roaming up and down the parade route, the sun blazing down on them, rushing to get their shot with their expensive lenses. In the meantime I'm on the sidelines cracking jokes with Marla, getting Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs with Kathy, spending time with everyone and having a really great time, despite the heat. I can't say the same for the photogs in the street. But then, they're probably getting paid too. All I know is I got some of the same shots they did.

Body painting in progress
One of the disclaimers posted online on several web sites is a warning about the rather risque nature of some of the participants. Partial nudity is a common theme, after all, the festival has it roots in burlesque. So needless to say, where ever there were scantly clad women there was a circle of male photographers around them. I have pictures to prove it too. Er, yeah, for journalistic purposes only... really.

I don't know what I enjoyed most, the sight of all the photographers gathered to photograph naked people or the comments from the bystanders about the naked people. Either case, it made for some fun observations.

So I promised to tell you about the sexy cop.

Mr. Sexy Cop, officer Perez
Diane and Dolores, being non-photographers, volunteered to sit with the chairs and hold our parade side seats while those of us with cameras wandered around taking pictures. Many thanks to Diane and Dolores for that. While they waited for the start of the parade they were chatting with several police officers hanging out in the shade with them, including a very handsome young man in uniform that made all the ladies go ga-ga.

Once the parade started that's when the fun really started. Before long I realized all the female photographers from our group were aiming their lenses up the street instead of down the street where the parade was coming in from. I turned to look and that's when I noticed Mr. Sexy Cop standing in the middle of the street looking like he stepped out of a police man's fund raiser calendar. Well, he was rather photogenic so I took some shots too.

Were we always together as a group? I did my own thing, walking through the staging area, grabbing shots of anyone willing to pose, and most were. Ask Diane about her run in with a couple of photographers. She is now in someone's photo collection. Others did their own thing too but then we'd run into each other, share info, make suggestions and spend time together shooting then move on to something else. Those interactions are what really made the event for me.

By five o'clock I was beat and fairly sunburned, Diane was tired and so was Dolores. We ended up leaving soon after for a quick bite to eat and then home. Diane and I crashed and were asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillows where I dreamed of boobs and Diane dreamed of Mr. Sexy Cop.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.