Skip to main content

DIY Softbox Storage Hanger

If you own a softbox, or two, you understand how bulky and unwieldy they can be. Imagine owning several in different sizes. Storage becomes an issue. One solution is to break them down and store them flat, but that becomes a pain after the first few times struggling to put one of these things together. It is more convenient to just grab one "off the shelf" and go to work.

Allocating shelf space seems like such a waste of valuable storage space. In my case I have two square softboxes, three striplights and soon two more rectangular ones. That's a lot of real estate. Time to come up with a storage solution that doesn't require floor space or shelf space.

The solution I came up with is a compromise of an idea I originally had of hanging them from the ceiling on pulleys so they would be out of the way until needed. I still like that idea, but for now I will be suspending them from a wire rack shelf system in my studio. Here is what the system looks like.



As a DIY solution, this one is both easy and inexpensive to make. All you need are a couple of items from the hardware store and a few tool you probably already have around the house. Here's a breakdown of the items;

Materials (in red):

  1. 1/2 inch PVC pipe (8"-10" per hanger)
  2. Paracord (several feet, depending on how many you want to make and what you're hanging from)
  3. Small carabiners (these came from a key ring with eight 1" mini clips on a ring)

Tools (in blue):

  1. Tape measure
  2. Wire tie (or any piece of junk wire)
  3. Saw
  4. Lighter
  5. Scissors (or utility knife)
  6. Drill

How to make the hangers

PVC pipes

Depending on how many softboxes you will be hanging will determine how much PVC you need to buy. You will need a length of at least double the diameter of the mounting ring opening, plus a little bit. This will prevent the pipe from slipping out as the softbox shifts on the hanger. In my case I bought pre cut lengths of pipe at two feet and cut them in half with a saw. 12" length is way too much but I was too lazy to cut them down. 8" to 10" is about average for any softbox.

PVC is easy to cut with any type of saw. If you have a PVC cutter feel free to use that. If you don't have a saw you can use a utility knife but it's a bit tough cutting so be very careful.

Once cut to length, drill a hole through the pipe in the exact center. Use a drill bit that will allow your cord, doubled over, to pass through. You don't need to make the hole so small you have to fight the cord through. It's not that critical.

When you have all your pipes cut to length and drilled out set them aside for later.

Cord hanger

The length of these hangers will be determined by what you plan on hanging them from. In my case I am hanging them on the side of a wire rack shelf so I didn't need anything too long. My finished size was roughly 20" clip to clip.

Tie a loop on one end of the cord and attach one of the small carabiners to it. You can use any type of hook of you don't have carabiners, or just leave a longer length to tie off to something. I suggest using a lighter to heat seal the cut ends of the paracord so it doesn't fray. You can look at the image below to see how I tied off on mine.

Measure out enough cord for your hanger plus some for the second loop. Tie off a second carabiner on the second end and heat seal it. You should now have a length of cord with two hooks on each end.

Make as many cords as you need softboxes to hang and set aside.

Putting it together


Take one of your finished cords and fold in half. Use a wire tie (or any scrap piece of wire) and hook it through the loop you just made in the cord (see image). Use the wire to help fish the cord through the hole you drilled in the center of the pipe. Pull through just enough to make a loose loop and set the wire tie aside. Loop the loose ends (clip ends) of the cord through the loop you just made and pull tight.

That's it. Hanger is made.

Clip (or tie off) the ends onto whatever you're planning on hanging your sofboxes from and you're good to go.

Hanging the softbox

To hang, insert the pipe through the back mounting ring hole of the softbox and rotate it until it catches against the inside of the ring. Let the softbox hang. Adjust the softbox on the hanger as needed.

To remove the softbox simply lift the softbox to relieve tension off the pipe. Reach inside the softbox through the side access panel and rotate the pipe out the hole.

Enjoy!

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.

What is the new normal after COVID?

A very large oak was uprooted by the wind and thrown across a stream. It fell among some Reeds, which it thus addressed: “I wonder how you, who are so light and weak, are not entirely crushed by these strong winds.” They replied, “You fight and contend with the wind, and consequently you are destroyed; while we on the contrary bend before the least breath of air, and therefore remain unbroken, and escape.” - Aesop's Fable