Skip to main content

Light Blaster initial thoughts

The first time I saw a review for the Light Blaster I have to admit I was more than a little intrigued. If you haven't seen or heard of this nifty little gadget yet here's a quick rundown.

The unit itself is a plastic housing that allows you to insert a speedlight into one end and attach a lens onto the other. A standard 2x2 inch 35mm projection slide is inserted in between the two via a special slide carrier. When the flash is triggered the image on the slide is projected on whatever the unit is aimed at.

The downside to the Light Blaster is the price. Starting at $100 for what people would consider a simple plastic shell with a lens mounting ring, the Blaster has a few other accessories that will drive the price up. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on what side of the coin your personal philosophy is on) there is a less expensive clone version of the Blaster made in China by Hpsum. At about $60 it's still pricey but a $40 savings is $40 that can go to something else.


Since the unit is designed to utilize a camera lens for projection, you do not need to sacrifice one of your better lenses to it. In my case I already had a used Tamron lens with a bad focus drive motor that was irreparable. Because of that issue the lens sat on a shelf collecting dust. Little did I realize it would come in handy for this purpose.

There are also plenty of used lenses on the market that can be purchased for pennies on the dollar for this. The unit itself comes standard with a Canon mount. For Nikon user, they do sell an adapter ring. Might as well forego the adapter and buy a cheap used Canon lens dedicated to the projector.

Obviously you will also need a speedlight. They do sell an adapter that will allow you to mount the projector to a studio flash as well. It's a nice option considering the light power available from a bigger flash.

Even more obviously, you also have to have some kind of slide to project through this. Light Blaster sells gobos and slides in add on kits but the designer in me likes the idea of making my own. I'll be discussing that in a more detailed article later.

The easiest way I found to use this is to attach it onto a light duty stand. You can see the small ballhead in this image. Attachment is with a standard 1/4 20 thread on the bottom of the unit. The unit can also be used handheld by attaching an additional hand piece.

Of course, with every new piece of gear that comes out you'll get opposing camps about how practical or needed it is. In this case there are some legitimate arguments for why bother to use this. One of the biggest being that if you wanted to change the background you can simply do it in photoshop.

On the surface this may seem like a convincing argument until you realize there are distinct differences in the results. For one, a projected image does not replace a background, like swapping it in photoshop would. It wraps the surface with the projected image. Trying to replicate that look in photoshop would take time and lots of skill. Not that it can't be done, but who wants to spend unneeded time editing.

I feel this is a wrong expectation on the use of the projector. It's not about replacing a background but rather augmenting it. Think of it as adding flavor or texture to an otherwise mundane background. If you think about the history of cinematic and theatrical lighting, gobos (aka cucoloris or cookies) have been a main staple for many decades. The principal reason for using this technique is to break up boring light in order to add mood, drama or movement to a scene. Properly used, the Light Blaster will do the same thing with much finer control in a smaller unit.

Another common argument is, why not just use a standard slide projector to achieve the same results? After all, a slide projector is designed specifically for projecting an image onto a flat surface. There are two big drawbacks to that argument, size and lumens. A slide projector is big and clumsy making fine adjustments tricky and image sizing and focusing awkward at best.

Another argument of Light Blaster over a screen projector is resolution. If image quality of the projected image is important, then projecting from a slide is a hands down winner. Depending on the image and the projection contrast, using a screen projector can result in visible lines (or pixilation) in the projected image.  Something that may not be favorable.

With the Light Blaster you have the advantage and flexibility of a camera lens to adjust both size (wide angle zooms) and blur (focus) of the projected image. A speedlight also puts out a brighter light than most projectors do and because projectors are hot lights, they generate heat and the cooling fan can be rather noisy.

The appealing thing about this whole projector idea, to me, is the ability to use custom created slides. As I mentioned, there are pre-made slides and gobos available but not really liking the majority of them I decided to make my own. After all, what's the sense of being a graphic artist and not using that ability?

These last two images are from two sample slides I ordered. The first is of a traditional gobo star pattern and the second is to mimic a more traditional classic backdrop. Both these test images were taken against a white brick wall. As you can see, the texture of the wall is still evident in both images. I plan on having a whole lot more slides made and I'll post my findings in a future article.

I hope this info is helpful and if you have any questions about the Light Blaster feel free to post them in the comments section below.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.