Skip to main content

Image File Organization Part Three

This is the conclusion of a three part article on image file organization. If you haven't yet, take a few minutes to read Part One and Part Two.

To this point you should have an understanding of how to get your images organized in such a way that makes finding them easier. Although the previous method discussed was about organizing personal images the same holds true for client work, with some minor adjustments.

If you are a working professional, many of your private images likely cross over to your paid work. Technically you can claim that you are your own client but let's not confuse things.
There are two basic systems you can utilize to keep track of client work, depending on the type of client and their requirements. The first is a typical client with one of a kind project.

Simple Client

Just like the previous systems discussed, the first level folder is for the owner of the content or the photographer. The next level contains the client's name and phone number as the folder's name. Why a phone number? You can imagine how handy it is having the phone number there until you have to make a call regarding an image and can't remember where you placed your client's number. Trust me, you;ll appreciate the convenience.

From here the structure resembles the Personal structure but without the year folder. A year folder is only suggested if the client does large volume work and not having that segregation would make the directory too long. Otherwise the naming convention is the same as the Personal one, year-month-day followed by the project name (or number) given by the client or a brief description of the job.

Just as previously, you separate the keepers from the seconds and the edits from everything else.

Complex Client


The second variation is for clients who have a complex project system. For example, a catalog project where there are multiple products shot over the span of a couple of months. The project name would be the same but there would be several shooting events.

Another example would be a design firm who hires you to work on several projects for their own clients. The design firm would be your client but their clients would be the firm's projects. Everything else gets sorted out like before, keepers, seconds, edits, etc.

What comes in must go out

Unlike personal work that gets posted to the web or hung on a living room wall, client work takes a different path. The primary destination is back to the client in the form of post processed images (or RAW files if someone else is processing the shots). In any case, there is a certain level of professional discretion required for publishing images. Rather than using a system like that in Part Two, edited images are kept in a sub folder with the project's working files. In that way all images for that particular project will always be contained in one single folder, the Client folder. If you are given permission to share or post images on you own site or a social media site, at that point you will export the the appropriate Portfolio folder. Now that you have seen the various methods of organizing digital images hopefully you will be motivated to get your own files under control. Although I did not discuss backup strategies with these systems, remember that having a reliable back up system is strongly encouraged. If you have another method that fits the criteria of organization and efficiency, please share them in the comment section.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.