Skip to main content

Carry you camera manuals the easy way


A couple years ago I posted an article about dusting off your camera's instruction manual in order to pick up a few tips and tricks about your camera's abilities. If it's been a while and you haven't opened up that manual to brush up on some camera functions, I suggest reading up on that post and following the advise.

But I'm not here to discuss what you should or shouldn't do with your camera knowledge. I know you're a smart person and don't need me to tell you to read your manual! I will, however, share a useful tip in how to keep that instruction manual handy for when you really need it. Like at one of my workshops when I ask you to set your camera in a specific way and you can't quite remember how to do it. Don't worry, it happens to many of us. Specially me, who has 'senior moments' more and more often. So what's this tip I mentioned? Read on...

We all know these small instruction manuals really aren't all that small. Specially if you want to carry more than one (additional camera, speed light, radio trigger, etc.) Before you know it they are cluttering your camera bag, getting dog eared and getting in the way. If only there was some way of carrying all those manuals in a compact, secure and convenient manner. The solution is closer at hand than you might think. As close as your smart phone or tablet.

In today's connected world smart phones and tables are common accessories for many of us, and that's a good thing. The computing power of these devices compete at a level with many small personal computers. Plus there is the benefit of having all those wonderful apps to help us navigate our world right at our fingertips. Along with those useful apps your smart phone or tablet can also become a depository for digital documents including, you guessed it, camera manuals.

My tablet, for example, is a tool for work and also a tool for recreation. Along with the various apps I have a copy of all my camera equipment manuals. I own several cameras and lenses, speed lights and Pocket Wizard transceivers. If I had to carry all those manuals I'd have to carry them in a separate bag just for them. Instead I keep them safe and secure on my tablet. I even have extra room for instructional videos and books by some of my favorite photo instructors. Plenty of reading and watching material for my down time. And if I need to find something out about any of my gear, it's only a couple of clicks away.

You can download most instruction manuals as .PDF files from most major manufacturer's web sites. Just visit their website and do a search for the instruction manual for your model, download it to your phone or tablet for later use. You may need to install additional apps in order to open and read a .PDF file.

Comments

  1. Duck -

    Nikon now has an App "Nikon Manual Viewer" which allows you to download all of the manuals for their equipment. Best feature is that there are built in links in the manuals which allow you to quickly locate the relevant information. My guess is Canon offers something similar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info John & Duck... I just got the app!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Post a comment only if it adds to the topic being discussed. Spam, hate or derogatory comments will not be allowed.

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.