Skip to main content

Spring cleaning time


Winter is quickly leaving us and taking the winter blahs with it. Soon we will all be actively shooting everything in sight with our cameras. Some of us with new gear purchased or gifted over the holiday season. As is nature, warm weather stirs up all kinds of activities.

Since the days are not nearly warm enough to be spring, it is time to begin that yearly chore of cleaning and preparing ourselves for the warm weather. Spring cleaning is one of those traditions that we all must do. "Out with the old, in with the new," as the saying goes. That also pertains to our camera gear.

This is the time to go through all your camera equipment and do some spring cleaning. Find yourself a day in which you can work undisturbed and lay out all your gear. In particular, you should do three things, clean, maintain and unclutter.

Cleaning - Much of our photo gear are sensitive pieces of electronic equipment susceptible to damage from dirt and moisture. Non-electronic gear can also fail from lack of cleaning. A soft cloth is often all that is needed to clean the dust of our cameras, lenses, flashes and other gear. Remember to follow manufacturer's cleaning instructions. Avoid touching sensitive parts with your hands. When cleaning lenses, never apply cleaning solution directly on the lens and never use canned air as it's too powerful and oily. Check all electronic contacts (lens, battery and memory cards) to make sure they are free of oxidation. There are plenty of instructional blogs and videos you can use for reference. If in doubt, ask someone knowledgeable for help. Your local camera store is a good place to start for assistance.

Maintenance - Things get loose from repeated use. Light stands and tripods are notorious for having things come loose. Often a little tightening with a screwdriver or hex wrench is all that's needed. Light fixtures, modifiers and other studio stuff should get a fitness test. Make sure all the parts that fit together actually do. Wheels and casters should roll easily. If not, a little oil or grease will solve that problem. Things also get broken with use. If an item can be fixed, now is the time to do it, not when you need it. If it can't be fixed recycle, re-purpose or throw it away if possible. Which leads to the last part.

Unclutter - If you've been in this business/hobby long enough you likely amassed quite a bit of gear. Take the time to sort things out. The one piece of gear that most people don't think about are storage containers. I am always looking for tote bags, sturdy boxes or plastic bins to sort and store things in. One area that can get rather out of control are those countless rechargeable batteries. A small clear plastic tote box can keep all your batteries together with your chargers and battery tester. A couple of utility shelves in a cool dry corner of your basement can be used to store less frequently used gear. Drape an old bed sheet over the front to keep dust from taking over.

As you go through your gear, set aside anything you don't use or need. These items can be sold locally through Craig's List or on eBay. The added funds can be applied towards something you really want or need.

So take a few hours this weekend, sort through your stuff and clean, maintain and unclutter all your photo gear.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.