Skip to main content

Lessons from mistakes


The tattoo industry, unfortunately, is filled with many dangers. Untrained artists known as scratch artists abound and their ignorance of the business puts their customers at risk. If you knew what I know about the shady side of tattooing you would probably swear off ever getting a tattoo from a stranger. Unless you have a personal relation with an artist and know, without shadow of a doubt, what their character and skills are you are literally in a craps shoot. After all, you are entrusting an image with strong emotional connections to be etched into your skin for ever.

Early in my tattooing career I chose to pay attention to every single problem and complaint I heard my customers tell me about their prior experiences with other artists. I then decided to do the exact opposite and now I have one of the most respectable tattooing businesses in the area. I learned from other people's mistakes.

The reason I bring this up is because working photographers are not immune from similar business problems. While there are no health risk, you are dealing with images that represent more than the sum value of the paper they're printed on. Photos, like tattoos, have an emotional investment. That emotion is entrusted onto the working photographer. Notice I said working photographer and not professional photographer.

Let's not kid ourselves. Most of us in these photography groups have some rather expensive equipment. We have also invested heavily into learning how to use that equipment. Some of us have had our share of small successes and have caught the attention of someone (family, friend, coworker) who has seen our potential and has gambled on our ability to capture useable images for a considerably cheaper rate. Our egos will step up to the plate to take on that challenge. Why not, we have to start somewhere.

The problem lies in "biting off more than you can chew." The proverbial 'can of worms' that gets opened up without knowing what is actually involved. Photography is more than just pressing the shutter button, just like tattooing is more than stepping on the switch and drawing a few lines. Both not only require the technical and creative ability to use the tools but also everything else that goes with it. There's networking, scheduling, portfolio maintenance, editing, equipment upkeep, bills, taxes, insurance, sales, promotions, and so much more.There are hidden dangers in this short list.

Looking at that list of business elements many will think to themselves, "I know all that," even though what they truly mean is, "I have heard about all those things being part of the business and feel confident I can handle it." What you don't hear too often are such things as keeping a second set of equipment for back up, hiring competent assistants and second shooters, knowing what the 'money shots' are (pardon the pun) and how to properly capture them. There's also being where you need to be before you have to be there, having eyes on the back of your head, anticipating the action, acting professionally when others around you are acting like cavemen and keeping  your cool when things start falling apart. And things always seem to fall apart at the wrong time.

We live in a litigious world where people are sue happy and willing to take anyone to court for what they feel is due reward for their 'emotional distress', a.k.a. bullshit. Unless you like being on the receiving end of a law suit it is best to travel prepared. Not only prepared with the right contracts but also prepared to deliver the final product, on time and as expected.

Let's talk legal-eeze here. As a photographer you NEED contracts for all your work. I would even go so far as say you should have them even for gratuity jobs. There are just too many pitfalls to stumble over and you need to protect yourself against them. Contracts also protect your customer as it puts into writing what they are purchasing. However, contracts, no matter how well written, can not protect you from incompetence.

There are no schools that teach you how to shoot a wedding or put together a fashion shoot for a catalog. These are things that are taught on the job. If you don't have someone to teach you it is guaranteed you will learn through mistakes, and mistakes are expensive.

So before you go out and hang your shingle, do your homework. Due diligence will mean the difference between having a successful business and failing terribly. Know what your limitations are and, more importantly, understand how to correct those limitations. Learn from others, learn from your mistakes and remember that practice makes perfect.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.