Skip to main content

You must have a really good camera!



"Those are great photos. You must have a really good camera!"

CLICK, CLICK... BANG!!!

As frustrating as it is, that is the current mentality of most of today's photo consumers. But before you go and unload a couple of rounds into their skull stop and think about why we are experiencing this mindset.

Before dismissing the commentator as some brain-dead ignoramus who can't tell good art from bad let us analyze the problem. In my opinion it is not (entirely) because they are slow of thought it is because they have been conditioned with that response. This conditioning comes from two areas; technical advancement and advertising hype built around our current social environment.

With the proliferation of inexpensive digital cameras, cell phone cameras and similar disposable image creators, photography has become commonplace. Everyone with a camera is a photographer. That's right, I said it. The basic definition of a photographer is someone who captures an image with a camera regardless of whether it is artistically or technically good. All they have to do is press a button. Someone who makes their living from taking pictures is a professional photographer. Let's also not forget the photographic artist. They may not make a living with their camera but they sure can make gorgeous prints. There is where the distinctions are made... by us. For them, they are pressing a button just like we do.

With this exponential growth in image capture we are constantly bombarded with photos and videos of friends doing stupid stunts, cats playing pianos, babies making funny faces and (ugh!) self portraits in a bathroom mirror. Then there are the countless inspirational quotes plastered over an image to help spread the word... All this in part to social media. Bad photography is everywhere. But again, the conception is that it's just a press of the button.

Camera manufacturers are in their glory.

I do have to give them credit for creating easy to use, feature rich, smart cameras. Most point and shoot cameras are so advanced all you really do need to have is the ability to press a button. They do all the rest. That is how they market them and that's what people expect from them. However, they are also applying the same marketing to the more complex dSLR cameras previously reserved for pros. They are not easy to use. You can't just point and click and get the same results of a point and shoot (arguably) although they'll say you can. I think the reason for the marketing hype is because the dSLR market is a richer market for camera manufacturers.

Think about not only the cost of a dSLR but also all the accessories for them. Point and shoot cameras don't have all those nice accessories. You buy one camera and that's it. The money stops. Buy a dSLR and you'll need lenses, flash, tripod, filters, etc., etc. and so forth. Don't worry about explaining all that to the poor unwary consumer. They'll figure it out for themselves, sooner or later. Preferably later, after they've spent their hundreds of dollars. That mentality is also what drives the megapixel race.

So with all these great camera gadgets in the hands of hundreds of thousands of people all taking and sharing their (bad) photos with the world we have an over abundance of (bad) imagery. Unfortunately most of them are mundane snapshots. When someone who knows how to really use a camera comes along the default answer is, "you must have a (more) expensive camera," than mine since I also have a camera but my pictures don't come out like that... and I press the button just like you do...

CLICK, CLICK... BANG!!!

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.