Skip to main content

Self-portrait clone-style



On a recent location scout, Anthony and I decided to have a little fun...

The technique used in the above image has been done by a lot of photographers so you're not really seeing anything new or unique. Even though, it is fun to do and it does build up skills both behind the camera (and in front) and in post processing.

Here's the principle; place your camera on a tripod overlooking an area you'd like to use as a backdrop. Meter for the ambient light and get your exposure set. Using your camera's timer mode, or have someone release the shutter, take a series of images of yourself in various places in the scene. Anthony did the honors for me for these images.

Once you have a nice collection of images it's time to load them up into your computer. You will need a good photo editing program for the rest. But before we get into the post stuff, I want to touch on a few basics about the shoot.

First rule is to plant your camera in place and DO NOT MOVE IT for the duration of the shoot. Use a shutter release cable. If you don't have a release cable use your self timer to avoid camera movement. The only thing that should move is you. Objects that happen to move through your scene against your control can simply be edited out in post processing.

Second rule is to plan your shoot. Walk through your scene to determine where you're going to stand. Start off simple and chose locations where you won't 'block' yourself from one pose to another. Use your view finder to determine the field of view so you know how far left and right you can place yourself.

Third, you will need to pay close attention to your settings. In particular your focal plane. Remember that you are going to be moving around in your scene and you want to keep any changing variables to a minimum. Use a  smaller aperture to increase depth of field. Find a central point, front to back, to set your focus on (more to the back than the front).

Keep photographic principles in mind. If your subject (you) is in shadow you will need to use flash for filler. This is where radio triggers are useful. Just make sure the flash is to one side and not between you and the camera. Don't worry if the flash is actually in frame as we are only concerned with getting a picture of you.

If you look at the 'before' shots you can see my light box and, in one case, Anthony standing next to me. Since I knew I only needed to get myself in relation to my scene it did not matter that Anthony was there. However, keep in mind that you will need to have enough uncluttered background for the final image. I usually suggest getting at least one shot of the background alone. Remember that first shot I mentioned at the beginning of this article?

Be creative with your posing. Play around and have fun. As you gain experience you can do more elaborate compositions including interacting with yourself. You can even introduce elements of humor and storytelling with your compositions. You're only limited by your imagination.

Once you have a collection of images it is time to assemble your collage. There are a couple of ways to do this but to keep things short I'll go over how I did this scene.

I first open my base image in my photo editing program. If you took an unpopulated scene first you can use that as the base image. I use Corel PhotoPaint for my photo editing. Corel, Photo Shop and other higher end photo editors share a lot of the same tool structures so you'll be able to do this in any program that allows cut and paste and layers.

Open your next image as a new layer. Give the new layer a transparency of 50-60% to make sure the images align properly. DO NOT MERGE the new object with the background yet. Once positioned remove the transparency. Select the image of yourself and delete the surrounding image. What should remain is a box with your image on a separate layer. Repeat the process with all the images you took. This is where you can decide on the final number of clones to include. Don't worry about the overlapped segments. This will get cleaned up in the next part.

You will notice some discrepancies around the clipped edges. If your clones are near each other you will also see the overlap. Use your eraser tool with a feathered edge to erase some of the unneeded background around your clones. Pay attention to shadows. You don't want to inadvertently erase your shadow on a wall or floor as it will cheapen the effect. You'll also want to keep an eye on objects that have moved through your scene. You don't want two planes in the sky behind you. Go ahead and simply get rid of both of them.

Once you have fine tuned all the clones go ahead and flatten the image, do final touches on the scene and sit back and enjoy your work.

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.