Skip to main content

A photo at every turn


Whenever I get a free moment I often grab my camera and go for a walk. I head out not knowing what I'll be shooting, let alone what I will find. A recent outing to a local environmental reserve proved to be very prosperous for several reasons. Beginning with the abundance of photo opportunities and culminating in the idea for this article.

The Osborne Kellogg homestead is a local museum and historical garden with an adjacent environmental preserve in Derby, Connecticut. The majority of the property has become a public park and in one section there are hiking trails that wind around a small pond. On first look the land looks overgrown and unkept. High grasses and wildflowers abound, obscuring the narrow trails that wind into and through the grounds.

I have never hiked these trails before and with camera in hand I headed onto the path. Since my goal was to spend no more than an hour, I decided to travel light. All I took with me was my Canon 7D with Sigma 120-400mm telephoto zoom lens. I also brought my trusty Manfrotto monopod with me which proved to be handy on several occasions.

The first thing I noticed was the sound of the birds in the trees. While I could hear them, I could not see them. It took me some time to acclimate myself to the surroundings before my senses shifted gear from city-slicker to nature hiker. Within a short time though, I found myself picking up on other sounds. I soon realized that there were lots of bees doing their thing in the flowers around me. There were literally millions of them all over the place.

Duck_178
Now that I was getting into my surroundings it was time to start taking pictures.

Ten feet into the property there were plenty of wild flowers growing all over the place. I took a few shots -- ehh -- moved on. Further up the trail I noticed some bird houses and snapped a few frames. I checked to see if there were any occupants but sadly they were empty.

Duck_179
Aside from the bees I also noticed there were plenty of grasshoppers jumping about. I got lucky as one of them jumped in front of me and landed a few feet away in the tall grasses. I crouched down and took a few exposures, carefully creeping in closer to get this shot.

Duck_180
As I was crouched there I happened to turn around and came face to face with some flowers. The light was coming in from behind them and I trained the camera on them. This is the resulting image from that encounter.

Duck_181Besides the bees and grasshoppers, the only other insects I spotted were butterflies. There were a couple fluttering around and after giving up a few time I was able to finally get a shot.

By this time I am now approximately a hundred yards into the property. The bees are busy, the grasshoppers are jumping and the birds are singing. I catch sight of a grasshopper as he jumps in front of me. I try to position myself to get a closer shot and in the process I scare it off. As grasshoppers tend to do, it jumped at a crazy angle away from me and as I followed it's path away from me I spotted this little black and yellow creature...

Duck_183Beyond the fields, the path entered into some wooded area. A large fallen tree blocked the path, a victim of hurricane Irene. Using my mono-pod for balance I climbed over the obstacle and proceeded through the trees.

Not liking the light caused by the tree canopy, I moved quickly through the woods until the path came out onto the field of wildflowers again. I now found myself on the other side of the pond.

Duck_184Right outside the tree line I paused to capture these little flowers draping down. A little further a yellow butterfly was flitting from flower bunch to flower bunch. After chasing it a while I was able to get this nice profile shot.

Duck_186Turning around I found this bee making his way along these little yellow flowers. After taking this shot I stood up to stretch and look around. As I was surveying the area I caught sight of something on my shoulder. Apparently on my way through the woods I had picked up a hitch hiker--a small black and yellow caterpillar.

Duck_185I took him off my shoulder and found some tall grasses to place him on. I watched in fascination as this little critter made his way along the stems, feeling his way on these ridiculously thin plants. I finally snapped out of my stupor and took several frames. Then this little guy made this awesome and daring reach outward and, after several attempts, caught hold of an adjacent grass stem. I think this is my favorite image from this whole expedition.

Feeling self satisfied I headed out of the field toward the entrance. It was here that I noticed there were may dragonflies buzzing back and forth, back and forth, over the wildflowers. I tried in vain to get some good shots but by this time I was feeling the heat of the sun. I also made the mistake of not taking any water with me. Talk about being prepared... But in my defense, I had intention on spending that much time out in the fields. It just happened that I got caught up with all the activity.

Duck_187Duck_189
Having failed at getting the dragonflies, I decided to get back to my truck. Up to this time I had been concentrating on the small world of insects. Once I had cleared the fields and was back among the shade trees I startled some birds from their roost. Stopping to gather my thoughts, I slowly made my way along the path, camera to eye, lens to the trees. I was rewarded by several great shots of the birds playing in and among the branches of the trees along the pond's banks.

Overall I spent about one and a half hours on this hike. Within that short amount of time I came away with more photos than I expected. Realizing what I had come away with I felt this experience was a great lesson to share with my readers. So next time you think you have nothing to photograph, simply head outdoors and take a closer look at your surroundings. You'll be amazed at the abundance of life you will find there.

On a technical note, all these photos were taken using only one lens. It's a great way to become familiar with your equipment and a great way to find a workaround to the limitations of only having one lens. The long focal range and tight field of vision of the Sigma lens offered its own challenges. Rather than worry about what the lens couldn't do, I played to the lens's strengths. I hope you enjoy the results.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Large DIY Diffusion Scrim

One of the most commonly used tools in my photographic arsenal is the all purpose diffusion screen . I use it to soften light, create gradients and light fields or as a background. One of my current favorites is a metal framed 4' x 4' foot scrim with thick white artificial silk made by Matthews. I didn't think I would use it so much, being so large, but having borrowed it from a friend I really came to love it. The downside for me is the price. At just over $100 I couldn't really justify the cost, considering I want at least two of them. Time for a DIY alternative.

Observations on composition - Pieter Bruegel

In this article I am reprinting a critique I published on photoMENTORIS.com regarding the painting entitled ' Census at Bethlehem ' by famed painter Pieter Bruegel , who was born in what is now the Netherlands in the 1520s. The first point I would like to say is that you first need to consider both the medium and the time frame of this painting. Being a painting, the artist has a certain advantage of being able to carefully direct the large amount of content presented to the viewer, unlike, say, a photo of opportunity of the street photographer (I strongly believe Pieter would have been the 'street photographer' of his time). Even a studio photographer, with the luxury of space and time, would have a hard time justifying creating such a complex composition. Where you would see this type of visual composition today would be in modern cinema. In particular, period pieces that rely on background elements to "sell the era" .  Secondly, the era in which thi

Don Julio - Hero Shot

For starters, a hero shot is one in which the product is showcased in all its splendor. Careful attention is placed on making the product look its very best. For this shot of Don Julio I knew I wanted to give the bottle some majesty by photographing it from a low angle. That low angle makes the bottle look tall, towering over the viewer and creating a position of dominance. Can't you hear the choir of angels singing in the background? I also knew that I wanted a rich, moody image with lots of darks. I am partial to darker images, which is surprising to most people because the majority of the work I do are images on white backgrounds. But that's another story. I also tried a lifestyle type shot with glasses and lime slices but I wasn't feeling it and ended up scrapping it. Again, that's another story.

Who Cares About Your Business

October marks the beginning of the holiday season with Halloween at the end of the month. Seasonal items are being shuffled around and soon Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah will be upon us. Personally, I have been busy preparing for the cold weather and analyzing how to move forward into the new year. This got me thinking about many things; rescaling my marketing, updating my prices, expanding my services… you know, all the regular business stuff. It also got me thinking about my customers... actually, the customers I don’t have. What can I do to help them find me? Then it hit me, if they did find me, why would they care?  This month’s newsletter is about ways of connecting to customers in today’s age of information.